Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Quick Blog About RWA Nationals

I have a blog for almost every day I was at the National Romance Writers of America Conference in Reno from this past week, sitting around waiting to be edited, but I ran into my agent in the airport and was treated to a stern, "where in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks is that book you owe me" speech. So instead of blogging, I've been doing that writing thing that will, in theory, bring me some income sometime down the road.

Some of the blogs include:
  • Why is it I always end up taking hours longer to fly any place than the itinerary the airline books me with? With a short rant included about one of my best friends, Bad Luck.
  • The talk I gave on Friday with Senior Red Sage Editor Judith Pich and Author Angela Knight on how to write novellas - the pitfalls Judith sees and the ways Angela and I write around them.
  • My Prism Award win for IN ICE, including what happens when you're flying so damn high, you negotiate with the bartender, getting shots for 20 people half price.
  • My first book signing at Nationals, including throwing candy at other authors for fun and profit.
  • And why I cannot sleep in the same bed with people I'm not married to.

But I just have to take 10 minutes right now from writing (it's almost 2pm and I've written 22 double spaced pages - I'm starting to go brain dead anyway) to talk about this whole thing that went down Saturday night at the Rita Awards Ceremony.

Now I was there and I'll admit, it wasn't the greatest. But I just ate a can of soup and read my email box (I'll reply later - I promise!) and see that we're all going down Hysterical Street again.

Okay, so it wasn't tasteful (re: Monica Lewinsky - Lorena Bobbit), it was positive to the Republicans (uh oh), it showed a lot of meaningless history and not a lot of women making history, it had goofy people jaunting down a runway in goofy outfits, and Nora Roberts, in an effort to advert disaster (or at least save herself from participating in it) bailed out as the MC at the last minute.

Do I think any of this is good? Hell no.

But before we press the pedal to the metal and waste precious writing hours getting all worked up again, perhaps we can remember back to that time long ago when we were readers and had never even *heard* of RWA. Friends, fellow writers, et al, nobody but us even knows who the heck we are, let alone cares what happened at our awards ceremony.

I was there and what *I* thought (since all of you really want to know, I'm sure) was, “Thank God this bottle of wine isn’t empty and really White Zin isn’t as terrible as I last remembered, further I’m going to resist the urge to eat the head off my Rita Award chocolate so I can take it back to the kids, and gee the lining on this dress is KILLING me – I need to get out of this dress RIGHT NOW.”

There is something to be said about being clueless….

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heheheh -- Bring me the head of a chocolate RITA!

wilddunz said...

“Mommy, Mommy- tell us again how you got Sex on the Beach for 1/2 price!!”

I insist you post a picture of what you were wearing when you negotiated for said shots- and-*ahem* -won a PRISM!!! BTW: Huge Congrats!!!!

As for being clueless- where are my membership papers? I thought that icky feeling I had during the awards was just the conference chicken, then I got online and now I know. I had no idea that an awards ceremony could be so influential in people's lives! While the presentation weirded me out with the ick factor and the strange feeling that something was missing (ah, yes- Amy Fisher), the straps on my shoes caused much more irritation.

Cindy

Leigh Wyndfield said...

Jody - send me your snail mail and I'll ship one too you. The kids didn't seem all that interested in them. Of course, in this heat they'll melt in the mail, but really it's the thought that counts.

Cindy - I'll tell the Sex on the Beach story with picture (does anyone have a picture of me in that dress?) later on in the week - heh. And yes, that chicken wasn't right. I ate two rolls instead, which were pretty tasty, if Atkins un-friendly. Can you remind me next time to wear a slip with that dress? I'll need to buy one, since I threw all mine out when I realized I never wear them and could save a whole drawer by getting rid of them. Which is really just my luck these days…

Paige - you don't want to room with me. I never shut up. (which shocks you, I know)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tony Grant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leigh Wyndfield said...

Dang man! I got hit by my first spammers. Dorks.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the award, well deserved!!! I'm torn between wanting you to finish that book and tell the rest of the news. :)Welcome home. Great to see you blogging.

Leigh Wyndfield said...

Hey Saskia! I owe you an email about Nationals gossip. Will get it to you soon. Hope all is well on the other side of the Atlantic!

Anonymous said...

Now don't you tease me! :)) Get the book done. I want to read it too! ;)

Arianna Hart said...

But you had wonderful table companions so at least that made it delightful, right? And why am I never mentioned in your darn blog????