Tuesday, June 28, 2005

High Heel Shoes And The Kick Ass Heroine

So someone said I should talk about high heeled shoes, that they're all the rage these days on people's blogs.

Hmmm... Well, I think I'm up for the challenge. I certainly wear them every day. A couple months ago, I had a group of writers over and my husband came through the room. I went to talk to him (we're having really ugly problems with our windows) and everyone couldn't believe how SHORT I was without my shoes, especially next to him. (If you can't tell from my writing, I like big, tall, strapping men - LOL!) Anyway, I'm 5'3" but with a good pair of heels, I can be 5'6" or even 5'7" - how can you not love that??

But high heels aren't always bliss. When drunk or even tipsy, they'll cause you to fall down, for example. And what's up with these kick ass heroines wearing 4 inch heels and doing roundhouse kicks and whatnot? PLEASE. I tried to jump off a two foot tall rock after my stepson with 2 inch heels on and ended up sprawled across the parking lot like a complete idiot. I mean, I love a kick ass heroine as much as the next gal, but don't you think we should be a little realistic here? She's not running anywhere for long in 4 inch Pradas, ladies. It's just not going to happen (and why would she be wearing that nice of shoes to kill mutant aliens, anyway???!). What's wrong with having a heroine dress correctly to battle evil? I mean, if I was going to go kick some baddies asses, I think I'd dress in my intergalactic military uniform, not a red slinky dress and heels. But then again, I've always been known for being a bit stuffy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you happen to recall a certain X-files episode where Mulder and Scully and Skinner went to Hollywood to view the filming of something that was sort of based on the X-files? Tea Leoni played Scully and got her to demonstrate how she ran in heels. So during this one scene Gillian Anderson kept running back and forth in the background in heels. Not real fast or anything. I don't think she would have been able to catch OR escape the mutated alien bad guy.

Jody W.

Leigh Wyndfield said...

I did not see that x-files, but your description totally cracked me up. I keep thinking I should start watching them again, but I still haven't watched about a year's worth of Farscape I have taped, or the last half of Lost, or the first season of Buffy someone bought me. Thinking about it, where does all my time go? Ah yeah - email. LOL!