Friday, June 10, 2005

Enchanted Inc

So I didn't blog yesterday. I couldn't. I was in a total stew, because this book I wrote called TAMING RED DRAGON got the big R. Yes, rejection city. Always a laugh a minute, this time it actually stung double because that book is just so dang GOOD. You know that feeling? Like you just know in your heart of hearts that the book is just plain perfect? So why isn't it selling? Marketing doesn't think it's marketable. They may have a point. I wrote a book I wanted so badly to read, but couldn’t find something like it in the store. Fantasy with a huge romance - girl goes on quest with hunky guy, saves the world using magic. How could anyone resist it?!? I don't know, but they have been in droves - LOL!

So as I wandered around my house, wondering for the first time since I started this writer’s journey if I'd done the right thing picking this as my career and the phone rings. It's my friend Carolyn Greene, the Plot Doctor herself, telling me she's almost at my house. WHAT?!? I bust ass to the kitchen, grab heaps of mail and stuff it in the pantry, throw 2 days worth of dishes into the dishwasher, grab 400 items left out by my step-kids and toss them into the hall closet. Then I dashed upstairs, threw on a hat over my greasy hair (I was depressed and anyway it was only two in the afternoon - that's not THAT late to shower), rolled on some deodorant and hustled downstairs right as she came up the walk.

She brought me a book.
Shanna Swendson's Enchanted,Inc - Hex in the City

And told me that she thought my witches would find their day, just like Shanna Swendson's witches found theirs.

With depression staring me in the face, the only thing left to do was to sit down and read ENCHANTED INC.

I'm only half way through, but guys - YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK!! And it isn't just because it's saving me from a mental ward, either. It's about this chick who goes to NYC and thinks she's just seeing normal city life, but it turns out she can see the magical community when others can't. Read an excerpt if you don't believe me that it rocks!!

So what's the moral of this story (besides be prepared for unexpected guests)? I don't know. I'm not really into morals and whatnot. Don't worry about all that squishy stuff - just read the book. That's why we’re all here anyway, to write an escape for our readers that will take them away somewhere fantastic. Thank you Shanna Swendson for being here in my time of need!

No comments: