Friday, May 20, 2005

Book Stacks and the Life Laundry

I have this book stack that has grown outrageously since I became an author. It used to be that I bought a book, read it, then bought another book. But as friends publish and free books come my way and more books tickle my fancy, I can't stop collecting them. It's an addiction of frightening proportions. I wonder if perhaps it's a signal of greater difficulties ahead... Will I grow old and have 20 cats and 5000 romance novels crammed into my one room apartment, only to die and have my niece clean everything out on an international episode of the Life Laundry?!

But I digress, because I was actually thinking more in terms of the LOGISTICS of all these books. I keep clearing them out and rearranging them and giving them away to anyone who comes near with a pulse. I even bought new shelves to put them on, which made me happy for awhile, but this last RT convention put about 40 books on the floor again. I have this guy coming in this afternoon to fix a hole in the side of my house (that he put there when he fixed a problem with the roof) and I had to move these 40 books so he could reach the hole. They're all stacked in almost exact piles across the room now. Piles that I unconsciously built that amused me when I moved them -- vampires, witches and shifters, cowboys, romantic suspense, category, military, Rosemary Laurey's latest release that is so big it is a stack of its own, regencies, books I will probably never read but wanted anyway because I'm a greedy hogglet who has a serious problem.

I'm not sure why I'm ranting about this. After all, it isn't such a bad problem to have, if you think about it. But I notice my cats (I only have two of them, I swear) have been using these books to hide behind and jump out at each other. And I saw a flash of my future...

6 comments:

Gena Showalter said...

I have so many books I can barely move through my office. It's a good way to keep my butt glued to my chair in front of the computer. I have to write -- I can't excape :)

Leigh Wyndfield said...

Gena - I will be buying one more, since your newest book, AWAKEN ME DARKLY, just came out!! I've been waiting for it - how can I not be excited by Mia Snow, Alien Huntress?!?! :)

Gena Showalter said...

You've won my eternal devotion! Thank you!!

I've always loved the Secrets books and 12 looks to be one of the best yet. I love the sound of Raine! I'm off to order my copy...

Leigh Wyndfield said...

Stopped by my local B&N on the way home and AWAKEN wasn't out yet :(

When is the official release? June? The B&N guy told me they might be in the June shipment that was marked to not open yet. Boo.

Gena Showalter said...

It is a June release but Amazon and Barnes started shipping online a week ago. Then I found copies in my local Borders. It's funny how different stores can be. :)

Leigh Wyndfield said...

Checked at Borders here and not out there either. Hmmm... The search will have to continue when I get back from vacation. :)